THIS SIMPLE LIFESTYLE CHANGE HAS HAD A DOMINO EFFECT (NOT THE PIZZA)...
“Yep, I’ve been juicing everything; Mia’s toys, Dan’s wallet…” I joked to my friend the other day. When I get fixated on something, I can think of little else. It used to be my Nutribullet. I wanted one for so long. But I admit, I’ve probably used it about 10 times since I got it. I just don’t love the consistency of smoothies. They’re a bit… chompy, a bit too thick.
My friend Gee set up The Juice Philosophy, born from a passion for juicing and healthy eating. On her website she offers some fantastic advice along with some free recipes to help you get started. The nut milk recipes are great! Along her personal journey she has helped lots of people change their bad habits and create a body that they love (literally inside and out). So after a read of her notes and 3 day cleanse suggestions, I was good to start experiencing all of the glorious benefits that juicing has to offer.
After a couple of trips to my local Robert Dyas and Argos and a ridiculous amount of time wasted on Amazon, I remembered that Philips do some great household bits. As soon as I checked their website I knew I needed the Philips Viva Masticating Juicer. I’d seen a few but this one just looked so slick and modern and I knew it’d fit right in with my minimalist style kitchen.
Gee was right, it does feel AMAZING. The beauty of juicing is that it’s just that. A juice. There’s no pulp. It is absolutely jam packed with the goodness that comes from fruit and veg and it’s easily absorbed by the body. You can do a juice a day, or go on a day, two days or even three day cleanse.
*Visit www.juicephilosophy.com for Gee’s tips and free downloads including shopping lists and recipes. There is also the option to choose coaching, where Gee will help with your accountability and dedication to your new habit.
Philips Viva Masticating Juicer:
- Easy to rinse clean and dishwasher safe.
- Not as noisy as some juicers.
- XL size feeding tube so you can literally throw in whole apples etc.
- Easy to assemble.
- Up to 80% juice extraction (VERY high for a juicer) even on hard veg and pomegranates.
- Comes with APP to access recipes, shopping list creations and inspiration. You can also record your health progress.
- Sleek and modern design that becomes a focal accessory in any kitchen.
I eased in to juicing because I didn’t want to shock my body. I rarely have my 5 a day so I didn’t want my body to experience an extremity. Over the course of a week I gradually took it up a notch so that I was having around 4 juices a day. I limited my solids of food to get a real cleanse. I could visibly see that my skin was becoming more and more hydrated (it’s important to drink lots and lots of water). My skin looked like someone else’s and I had SO MUCH energy.
- Do what you’re comfortable with. I began introducing juices into my diet slowly and then worked up to a new habit of 1 cup of celery juice every day before breakfast to kick start digestion and get my body ready to be treated to lots of goodness.
- Avoid the temptation to pack your juices full of fruit. Whilst they’re tasty, the sugar content is far too high. I like to use the 4 to 1 rule. 4 pieces of veg to 1 piece of fruit.
- Stock up on fresh ginger and lemon because you will burn through them. Morrisson’s are the best for bulk bags of ginger for £1-£2.
- Remember to thoroughly wash everything you are putting through your juicer. Especially if you aren’t using organic produce. It’s important to clean them well. I use a natural bristle brush and warm water.
- Rinse the juicer after each use.
- Drink lots and lots of water when you’re juicing because your body will need it. Juicing cuts out the insoluble fibre and gives your digestive system a rest so it’s important to flush out all of the toxins that the juices are getting rid of.